Specialised allied health professional education is available to all health professionals interested in evidence-based and up-to-date cancer knowledge. Peter Mac courses provide you with a unique opportunity to meet expert clinicians as they explain the clinical application of their knowledge.
About our program
The Allied Health team at Peter Mac provides quality education for students through a program of student placements as well as providing Continuing Professional Development opportunities for Allied Health Professionals.
Peter Mac offers approximately 34 Allied Health Undergraduate and Masters level placements across Nutrition, Speech Pathology, Physiotherapy, Social Work, Spiritual Care, Music Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Clinical Psychology.
If you are interested in placement opportunities at Peter Mac, please speak to the placement coordinator at your education institution.
Peter Mac also offers an annual two-day Nutrition Oncology Student Education Program for up to 160 dietetic students from Victorian universities.
Continuing professional development
Peter Mac offers a number of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) opportunities and resources to Allied Health Professionals. Some highlights are explained below.
Allied health-wide CPD
Opportunities exist for internal Allied Health Professionals to participate in various Allied Health-wide CPD activities throughout the year. Details for these events are circulated via email.
Clinical Psychology internships, offered two days per week to provisionally registered Psychologists in the final year of their clinical Masters or Doctorate degree.
Psychology at Peter Mac also conducts a cancer-specific Professional Development Program annually.
Nutrition and dietetics
The Cancer Nutrition Resource Manual, available for sale to oncology dietitians, provides an evidence-based resource for the nutritional management of cancer - if you are interested in purchasing this manual please email Belinda Steer ([email protected]).
Peter Mac's Nutrition and Speech Pathology department hosts a biennial professional development event for dietitians working in cancer. This is the only event of its kind in Australia, bringing together a range of clinicians to present on the latest clinical, research and education developments in the field of cancer nutrition. Find out more on the Nutrition and Speech Pathology pages of this website.
Training and supervision in pastoral care is offered through the Centre for Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) at Peter Mac. The CPE is accredited with the Association for Supervised Pastoral Education in Australia (ASPEA).
CPE is a program of education and formation for pastoral care practitioners. It is a recognised tertiary-level subject within the University of Melbourne's School of Divinity.
Participants in the CPE program develop pastoral professionalism, personal identity and skills through an experiential education process.
Peter Mac accepts both full- and part-time pastoral care internship placements:
- four full-time placements – 11 weeks' duration for up to four interns at a time
- two part-time placements – 20 weeks' duration for up to six interns at a time.
Full-time CPE program dates 2017-18
- Summer 2017/18 program runs from Monday 20 November, 2017 to Friday 2 February, 2018. 12 weeks (1 CPE unit). Closing date for applications is Friday 1 September, 2017.
Nine month residency 2018 program runs from Monday 12 February to Friday 2 November, 2018. 12 weeks (3 CPE units). Two week break at conclusion of each unit. Closing date for applications is Friday 6 October, 2017.
- Autumn 2018 program runs from Monday 12 February to Friday 4 May, 2018. 12 weeks (1 CPE unit). Closing date for applications is Friday 2 November, 2017.
- Winter 2018 program runs from Monday 21 May to Friday 3 August, 2018. 11 weeks (1 CPE unit). Closing date for applications is Friday 2 March, 2018.
- Spring 2018 program runs from Monday 20 August to Friday 2 November, 2018. 11 weeks (1 CPE unit). Closing date for applications is Friday 8 June, 2018.
- Summer 2018/19 program runs from Monday 19 November to Friday 8 February, 2019. 12 weeks (1 CPE unit). Closing date for applications is Friday 7 September, 2018.
The fees for all 2018 Full-time programs are $1,650 including GST. If you are taking any of these units as a component of your course through the University of Divinity, please contact your course co-ordinator for the fees. Please note that there will be no remuneration participating in the Nine Month Residency Programme and education fees will not be levied.
Part-time CPE program dates 2017-18
- Extended Unit Semester 2 2017 runs from Wednesday July 19 to Wednesday December 6, 2017. 2 days per week. 20 weeks (1 CPE unit). Closing date of applications is Friday, June 9 2017 (Please note there will be no CPE program on September 27 and October 4)
- St. Vincent’s Part-time Extended Unit runs from Thursday 22 June to Friday 1December, 2017. 2 days per week. Closing date of applications is Friday, May 12 2017. (Please note there will be no CPE program on July 6 & 13, September 27 and October 4)
St. Vincent’s Pastoral Care Department and the Peter Mac Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) Centre have joined together to offer a unique CPE opportunity for people to participate in an Extended Unit of CPE which will be conducted over twenty four weeks. Clinical placements will be at St. Vincent’s Fitzroy and St. George’s. There is room for six people to participate in this program.
The fees for the 2017 part-time CPE programs are $1,320 (including GST). If you are taking this unit as a component of your course through the University of Divinity please contact your course co-ordinator for the fees.
- Semester 1 2018 Extended Unit runs from Wednesday 21 February to Wednesday 4 July, 2018. 2 days per week. 20 weeks (1 CPE unit). Closing date of applications is Friday 3 November 2017. (Please note there will be no CPE program on April 4, and April 11)
- Semester 2 2018 Extended Unit runs from Wednesday 18 July to November 28, 2018. 2 days per week. 20 weeks (1 CPE unit). Closing date of applications is Friday 8 June 2017. (Please note there will be no CPE program on 26 September, and 3 October)
The fees for the 2018 part-time CPE programs are $1,650. If you are taking any of these units as a component of your course through the University of Divinity, please contact your course co-ordinator for the fees.
To obtain application materials or for further information please contact:
Spiritual Care administrator
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (03) 8559 5236
Please send applications to:
Locked Bag 1, A’Beckett Street
Melbourne, VIC, 3000, Australia
Our annual physiotherapy course is available to all professional groups and covers the basic information required for physiotherapists and exercise physiologists to work with people with cancer. The course is run by our Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy department.
This program conforms with the Australian Association of Social Workers Supervision Standards to help:
- enhance professional skills and competence of social work practitioners, thereby increasing their capacity to achieve positive patient outcomes
- engage social workers in ongoing professional learning to enhance their capacity to respond effectively to complex and changing practice environments
- retain social workers in Peter Mac by supporting and resourcing the clinicians to provide quality, ethical and accountable services in line with Peter Mac’s vision, goals and policies.
Specialist nutrition oncology education workshops are offered to regional clinicians working with head and neck and upper gastrointestinal cancers. Workshops are followed by mentoring visits at Peter Mac, in conjunction with the Speech Pathology department at St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne. Education workshops and site visits can also be tailored to meet the specific needs of regional clinicians.
For more information please email [email protected].