Subsidised travel and accommodation schemes

Victorian or interstate patients may be eligible for help with travel and accommodation costs, when receiving cancer care

The Department of Human Services funds the Victorian Patient Travel Assistance Scheme (VPTAS).

Victorian Patient Transport Assistance Scheme (VPTAS) 

The Victorian Patient Transport Assistance Scheme (VPTAS) subsidises travel and accommodation costs incurred by rural Victorians and an approved escort(s) who have no option but to travel more than 100 kilometres one way or an average of 500 kilometres a week for one or more weeks to receive approved medical specialist services or specialist dental treatment.

Confirm your eligibility 

The VPTAS guidelines provide details on eligibility. In summary, to be eligible for VPTAS patients must:

  • be a Victorian resident
  • live in a Department of Health & Human Services designated rural health region
  • be receiving specialist medical treatment from a medical practitioner registered with Medicare Australia and recognised as a specialist in a particular specialty under the Health Insurance Act 1973 (Cwlth) as per Schedule 4 of the Health Insurance Regulations 1975
  • need to travel more than 100 kilometres one way or an average of 500 kilometres a week for one or more weeks (travel distances can be determined using the Google® maps Get Directions function).

To Confirm your eligibility:

Veteran’s Affairs Card Holder: please contact your local office for information on travel and accommodation schemes. 

Completing a VPTAS claim form  

You can obtain a VPTAS form from any of the following: 

  • The VPTAS website 
  • Your local GP 
  • A hospital  
  • The Peter Mac Accommodation department on the Ground Floor in Melbourne

Booking accommodation 

All reservations for accommodation can be made through our Peter Mac’s Patient Accommodation Manager Sandy Malkin on (03) 8559 7454 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

  • Patient’s and family members can make their own reservations:
    • utilising the recommended list of providers – all accommodation providers on our listing have preferential rates for Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre patients and family members. When making a booking, mention that you are a Peter Mac patient.
    • Your own choice: ensure that your choice is a registered business with an Australian Business Number and are able to provide you with a Tax receipt invoice to submit to your state with your claim form. 

Bulk billing or subsidised accommodation must be discussed with the accommodation manager, but can only be booked through the Peter Mac accommodation department. Stringent Criteria applies, which must comply with the state requirements.

Pay the first $100 each treatment year

People receiving VPTAS assistance pay the first $100 each treatment year for their travel and accommodation, except for primary card holders of a Pensioner Concession Card or Health Care Card. After the initial payment VPTAS covers all travel and accommodation costs for the remainder of the treatment year. A treatment year starts from the date of the first appointment with a specialist.

Travel assistance

People who are eligible for travel support will receive:

  • 21 cents per kilometre if a private car is used
  • full economy-class fare reimbursements for public transport
  • air travel reimbursement - only if the journey exceeds 350 kilometres one way and a commercial flight is used
  • taxi travel reimbursement - only to or from the nearest public transport when there are no other transport options.

Only the direct route to and from the person's home address is covered. Any other travel is not included. Google® maps Get Directions is used to determine the total eligible travel distance.

Travelling by public transport

People who are travelling by public transport and using a myki card should register their myki with Public Transport Victoria. They can access their travel history online and print a tax invoice statement of travel, which can be included with their VPTAS claim form. 

Get your form signed and posted 

Within 12 months of the first specialist treatment/consultation: 

  1. VPTAS claim form should be signed by either: 
    1. An approved medical specialist 
    2. The Peter Mac Patient Accommodation Manager
  2. the signatory completes the VPTAS claim form stating the number of nights of accommodation required
  3. the signatory approves that partner or carer can accompany the applicant (they must be 18 years of age or older).
  4. Send the form and required receipts to the VPTAS office (GPO Box 4057, Melbourne,3001), or the Peter Mac Patient Accommodation Manager can sign and post your claim forms for the VPTAS subsidy on your behalf

Receive your reimbursement  

VPTAS will make payments by electronic funds transfer (EFT). They will do so into the bank account you provide. 

  • VPTAS will reimburse you based on the number of kilometres you travelled by car. They will do so at a rate of $AUD0.21 per kilometre. VPTAS calculates the distance you would have travelled using Google Maps. This tells them how much they then need to reimburse you 
  • If you are eligible you can claim up to $AUD49.50 per night for both you and your approved carer. This can come off the cost of accommodation where GST is applicable
  • Accommodation subsidy for approved carer only is up $AUD49.50. That is, if we admit you as an inpatient, your approved carer can get up to $AUD49.50 per night

Further information / contact details 

Please contact the Victorian VPTAS office if you need more information on VPTAS: 

  • Refer to the Victorian Department of Health website 
  • Phone: (03) 5333 6040 or 1300 737 073 
  • Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 
  • VPTAS Office postal address: PO Box 712, Ballarat, VIC 3353 

Or you can come to the Peter Mac Accommodation Department, at the Melbourne Campus, Ground Floor (behind the Enquiries Desk, next to the Welcome Lounge). 

Interstate subsidies   

You may be an interstate patient seeking help. If so, please refer to the following for relevant travel and accommodation schemes. 


Before your journey commences 

  1. Contact your state’s relevant scheme by phone or email - or check their website 
  2. Determine your eligibility and requirements attached to the scheme with your state
  3. You may need to submit your application form before your journey commences





New South Wales (NSW) 

Isolated Patients Travel and Accommodation Scheme (IPTAAS) 

1800 478 227 

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 


Patient Transport Subsidy Scheme (PTSS) 

13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) 


South Australia 

Patient Assistance Transport Scheme (PATS) 

1300 341 684 

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 


Patient Travel Assistance Scheme (PTAS)

1300 135 513 

Royal Hobart Hospital (03) 6166 8225  

Launceston General Hospital (03) 6777 6249 

North West Regional Hospital (03) 6477 7732 


Western Australia 

Interstate Patient Travel Scheme (IPTS) 

(08) 9222 2474 

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

Australian Capital Territory

Interstate Patients’ Travel Assistance Scheme (ACT IPTAS) 

(02) 5124 9082 

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

Northern Territory 

Patient Assistance Travel Scheme (PATS) 

Alice Springs: (08) 8951 7846 

Tennant Creek: (08) 8951 7846 

Darwin: (08) 8922 8135 

East Arnhem: (08) 8987 0201 

Katherine: (08) 8973 9215 



Patient Accommodation Manager - Sandy Malkin

Related pages