The Peter Mac research education program provides excellence in research training and support for all laboratory and clinician research students as they develop expertise in new technologies, and help drive new discoveries that lead to changes in research knowledge and clinical practice.
ABOUT OUR RESEARCH EDUCATION PROGRAM
With strong links to local and international universities and research institutes, our research education program provides a training and support framework for the academic and professional development of our staff and students.
Our extensive research training program facilitates the development of future clinical and science researchers in the following ways:
- We coordinate programs for postgraduate and honours students from the University of Melbourne (through the Sir Peter MacCallum Department of Oncology), and from all Victorian and national universities.
- We offer an internship and placement program for local and international university students – both undergraduate and postgraduate.
- We facilitate education training for clinical research.
- We offer a secondary school program to provide younger researchers with opportunities to improve their understanding of cancer research and provide hands-on experience in a laboratory setting.
2020 RESEARCH STUDENT OPEN DAY
Our Virtual Research Student Open Day was held on Tuesday 15 September.
Hear directly from some of our supervisors about their research projects on offer for 2021 in the Research Student Recruitment page.
To see all available projects for 2021 PhD/Masters and Honours see: 2021 student project booklet
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: 2021 PhD Scholarship
Applications for the 2021 Rosie Lew Peter Mac Foundation Postgraduate Award is now open.
This is a prestigious scholarship for candidates commencing their cancer research PhD at Peter Mac in 2021.
Applications close on Monday 9 November, 2020, 5.00PM
The Sir Peter MacCallum Department of Oncology
Peter Mac is home to The Sir Peter MacCallum Department of Oncology at the University of Melbourne.
Research students at Peter Mac
Why do a research degree? Our students – past and present – share their thoughts on their student experience at Peter Mac.
Postgraduate research education
Find out about eligibility requirements, how to apply, support and resources and scholarship information for postgraduate and honours students at Peter Mac.
Honours research education
Find out about eligibility requirements and how to apply for Honours at Peter Mac.
Research placements and Summer Scholarships
Research internships or placements (unpaid) are available for university students when it is a formal course requirement.
Applications for 2020-21 Summer Scholarships are now closed.
NOTE THAT DUE TO COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS IMPACTING ON OUR RESEARCH AND CLINICAL ACTIVITIES, WE ARE UNABLE TO COMMIT TO PLACEMENTS IN 2020.
School science activities
Learn about the Science experience activities and work experience available through our School Science Program.
Good Clinical Practice Education Program
Our Good Clinical Practice (GCP) training program is available at Peter Mac or offsite by arrangement.
Our Research Education Team
Coordination and delivery of our research education and professional development activities is provided by the following team:
- A/Prof Caroline Owen, Head, Research Education
- Dr Erika Cretney, Acting Manager, Research Education
- Ms Niranga Nawagamuwa, Research Education Officer
- Ms Dawn Patrick, Research Education Administrator
- Dr Maria Doyle, Application and Training Specialist
Contact this team through the group email: [email protected]