Peter Mac provides a precinct wide Medical Oncology service.
Medical oncologists use medications to care for and treat patients with all types of cancer.
These medications might be used to:
- Kill or control cancers
- Slow cancer growth
- Treat complications associated with cancer treatments
- Minimise the effects of cancer
- Control pain and symptoms of cancer and its treatments
You may see a Medical Oncologist at Peter Mac for:
- Hormone Therapy
There is no one-size-fits all treatment for cancer and often a patient will have a combination of treatments for the best outcome possible. Your treatment may also include radiation therapy, surgery or haematological treatments.
If you are receiving treatment for cancer you will be looked after by a treating consultant who will coordinate your treatment plan. However, you will receive care from a range of different experts. Your multidisciplinary team may consist of:
- Medical oncologists
- Radiation oncologists
- Surgical oncologists
- Specialist nurse coordinators or practitioners
- Other doctors who are undertaking specialist training
- Specialist treatment nurses
- Allied health professionals such as dietitians, physiotherapists, social workers, clinical psychologists
- Other support services
See Cancer Types to find out more about the team and service specific to your cancer.