The Victorian Cancer Malnutrition Collaborative (VCMC) program of work is a state wide collaboration led by Peter Mac.
The VCMC program of work aims to increase understanding and knowledge, and promote strategies for action in order to address cancer malnutrition. This program of work is proudly supported through funding from the Cancer Strategy & Development Department of Health and Human Services Victoria, Peter Mac and Western Central Integrated Cancer Services.
WHO WE ARE
The VCMC community is made of our lead team based at Peter Mac, dietitians from around Victoria working in cancer care, cancer consumers, health professionals, community organisations and policy makers – all working together to educate, engage and improve the care, systems and information provided to people with cancer and their supports.
Nutrition is important for all people with cancer regardless of diagnosis, treatment type or timing in the cancer pathway. Cancer malnutrition is common in people with cancer, but should not be considered an expected side effect of cancer. Malnutrition should be prevented at all stages of the cancer journey as it can cause problems such as:
- An increase in the side effects from treatment; the chance of infection; time spent in hospital; and muscle strength.
- A decrease in muscle strength; how well treatment works; how well your immune system works; wound healing.
REPORTS, PUBLICATIONS & LINKS
- Phase I summary report - Investigating practices relating to cancer malnutrition in Victorian cancer services 2012
- Phase II summary report - Malnutrition in Victorian cancer services summary report 2013
- Phase III summary report - Phase III Malnutrition in Victorian Cancer Services: summary report
- Cancer malnutrition: feeding everyone from hospital to home - final project report
- Victorian Cancer Malnutrition Collaborative (VCMC) fact sheets:
- Malnutrition governance toolkit
- Malnutrition in Cancer eLearning program
COMMUNICATION & EVENTS
For details of the next VCMC Community of Practice (CoP) contact: [email protected]