The Victorian Cancer Malnutrition Collaborative (VCMC) program of work is a state wide collaboration led by Peter Mac.
The VCMC program of work aims to increase understanding and knowledge, and promote strategies for action in order to address cancer malnutrition. This program of work is proudly supported by the Victorian Government, Peter Mac and Western Central Melbourne Integrated Cancer Services.
WHO WE ARE
The VCMC community is made of our lead team based at Peter Mac, dietitians from around Victoria working in cancer care, cancer consumers, health professionals, community organisations and policy makers – all working together to educate, engage and improve the care, systems and information provided to people with cancer and their supports.
Nutrition is important for all people with cancer regardless of diagnosis, treatment type or timing in the cancer pathway. Cancer malnutrition is common in people with cancer, but should not be considered an expected side effect of cancer. Malnutrition should be prevented at all stages of the cancer journey as it can cause problems such as:
- An increase in the side effects from treatment; the chance of infection; time spent in hospital; and muscle strength.
- A decrease in muscle strength; how well treatment works; how well your immune system works; wound healing.
REPORTS & PUBLICATIONS
- Phase I summary report - Investigating practices relating to cancer malnutrition in Victorian cancer services 2012
- Phase II summary report - Malnutrition in Victorian cancer services summary report 2013
- Phase III summary report - Phase III Malnutrition in Victorian Cancer Services: summary report
- Cancer malnutrition: feeding everyone from hospital to home - final project report
- Cultural adaptation of the Malnutrition Screening Tool and associated resources - final project report
VCMC FACT SHEETS & LINKS
- Malnutrition Screening Tool - available in English and 10 other languages
- Preventing weight loss for people with cancer fact sheet - in English, Arabic, Greek, Spanish, Croatian, Italian, Macedonian, Turkish, Vietnamese, Traditional Chinese (Cantonese) or, Simplified Chinese (Mandarin)
- Malnutrition governance toolkit
- Malnutrition in Cancer eLearning program
COMMUNICATION & EVENTS
To keep informed and updated on project work being undertaken within the VCMC we welcome you to subscribe to our email list. This will give you access to our bi-annual eNewsletters and includes an invitation to join free Community of Practice events.
Community of Practice
The VCMC Community of Practice is a free bi-annual forum that enables participants to share their practice and deepen their knowledge of cancer nutrition care and information provision for patients, carers, and health professionals. Our next Community of Practice forum is scheduled for October 27th, 2021, and is run as a virtual event. For details of the next CoP contact: [email protected] or subscribe to the VCMC email list
General enquiries - [email protected]
Project oversight - [email protected]