Keen-Hun Tai graduated MBBS from the University of Melbourne and undertook training in radiation oncology at the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre. Having attained Fellowship of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists (RANZCR) in 1990, he was appointed consultant radiation oncologist Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre. Responsible roles commenced with a one year appointment as acting Head of the Gynaecology tumour stream. This was then followed by being the Head of the then newly established Moorabbin campus in 1994. Over the subsequent 6 years, he was able to develop the clinical services at that campus working with the Monash Health Oncology service and the Surgical oncological disciplines of that organisation. The outreach Peter MacCallum clinic at Frankston Hospital also became an extension of the radiation oncology services that could be provided at the Moorabbin Campus.
He was Director of Clinical services of the Urology service at Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre from 1998 to 2003. His interest in GU cancers resulted in many collaborative efforts in clinical trials. He continues as a senior radiation oncologist in the GU Oncology service.
From the mid-1990’s, he has held various positions of responsibility including acting Deputy Director Division of Radiation Oncology (DRO), Associate Director of Administration DRO from 2000 to 2004, Associate Director of Clinical Services DRO 2010 to 2014 and from 2016 as Deputy Director DRO. In 2005 to 2008, he had roles as Deputy Chair of Clinical Services and Chair of Clinical Services, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre.
He has been a active member of the RANZCR as Chair of the Faculty of Radiation Oncology Genito-urinary Group from 2005 to 2014. In 2015, he was voted to the Faculty of Radiation Oncology (FRO) Council and currently is in his second 3-year term. During this time, he has been a facilitator in the annual Statistical Methods, Evidence Appraisal and Research for Trainees (SMART) workshop for radiation oncology trainees of the RANZCR at the Trans-Tasman Radiation Oncology Group (TROG) annual scientific meeting. He has been Chair of the FRO Research Committee from 2016.
His roles external to Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre have also included participation and contributions in the Medicare Benefit Schedule Review (from 2015), Victorian Prostate Cancer Summit Working Party, HealthPathways Melbourne Oncology and Specialist Nurses CPD for the Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia.
- Real-Time Image Guided Ablative Prostate Cancer Radiation Therapy: Results From the TROG 15.01 SPARK Trial. Keall P, Nguyen DT, O'Brien R, Hewson E, Ball H, Poulsen P, Booth J, Greer P, Hunter P, Wilton L, Bromley R, Kipritidis J, Eade T, Kneebone A, Hruby G, Moodie T, Hayden A, Turner S, Arumugam S, Sidhom M, Hardcastle N, Siva S, Tai KH, Gebski V, Martin J. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2020 Mar 29:S0360-3016(20)30937-8.doi:10.1016/j.ijrobp.2020.03.014.
- Radiation Dose Escalation or Longer Androgen Suppression to Prevent Distant Progression in Men With Locally Advanced Prostate Cancer: 10-Year Data From the TROG 03.04 RADAR Trial. Joseph D, Denham JW, Steigler A, Lamb DS, Spry NA, Stanley J, Shannon T, Duchesne G, Atkinson C, Matthews JHL, Turner S, Kenny L, Christie D, Tai KH, Gogna NK, Kearvell R, Murray J, Ebert MA, Haworth A, Delahunt B, Oldmeadow C, Attia J. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2020 Mar 15;106(4):693-702. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2019.11.415.
- The accuracy and precision of the KIM motion monitoring system used in the multi-institutional TROG 15.01 Stereotactic Prostate Ablative Radiotherapy with KIM (SPARK) trial. Hewson EA, Nguyen DT, O'Brien R, Kim JH, Montanaro T, Moodie T, Greer PB, Hardcastle N, Eade T, Kneebone A, Hruby G, Hayden AJ, Turner S, Siva S, Tai KH, Hunter P, Sams J, Poulsen PR, Booth JT, Martin J, Keall PJ. Med Phys. 2019 Nov;46(11):4725-4737. doi: 10.1002/mp.13784.
- TROG 18.01 phase III randomised clinical trial of the Novel Integration of New prostate radiation schedules with adJuvant Androgen deprivation: NINJA study protocol. Martin J, Keall P, Siva S, Greer P, Christie D, Moore K, Dowling J, Pryor D, Chong P, McLeod N, Raman A, Lynam J, Smart J, Oldmeadow C, Tang CI, Murphy DG, Millar J, Tai KH, Holloway L, Reeves P, Hayden A, Lim T, Holt T, Sidhom M. BMJ Open. 2019 Aug 20;9(8):e030731.
- Short-term androgen suppression and radiotherapy versus intermediate-term androgen suppression and radiotherapy, with or without zoledronic acid, in men with locally advanced prostate cancer (TROG 03.04 RADAR): 10-year results from a randomised, phase 3, factorial trial. Denham JW, Joseph D, Lamb DS, Spry NA, Duchesne G, Matthews J, Atkinson C, Tai KH, Christie D, Kenny L, Turner S, Gogna NK, Diamond T, Delahunt B, Oldmeadow C, Attia J, Steigler A. Lancet Oncol. 2019 Feb;20(2):267-281.
- Stereotactic Abative Body Radiotherapy (SABR) for Oligometastatic Prostate Cancer: A Prospective Clinical Trial. Siva S, Bressel M, Murphy DG, Shaw M, Chander S, Violet J, Tai KH, Udovicich C, Lim A, Selbie L, Hofman MS, Kron T, Moon D, Goad J, Lawrentschuk N, Foroudi F. Eur Urol. 2018 Oct;74(4):455-462.
- Moderate hypofractionation for prostate cancer: A user's guide. Pryor DI, Turner SL, Tai KH, Tang C, Sasso G, Dreosti M, Woo HH, Wilton L, Martin JM. J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2018 Apr;62(2):232-239.
- Health-related quality of life for immediate versus delayed androgen-deprivation therapy in patients with asymptomatic, non-curable prostate cancer (TROG 03.06 and VCOG PR 01-03 [TOAD]): a randomised, multicentre, non-blinded, phase 3 trial. Duchesne GM, Woo HH, King M, Bowe SJ, Stockler MR, Ames A, D'Este C, Frydenberg M, Loblaw A, Malone S, Millar J, Tai KH, Turner S. Lancet Oncol. 2017 Sep;18(9):1192-1201.
- Patterns of health services utilization in the last two weeks of life among cancer patients: Experience in an Australian academic cancer center. Ong WL, Khor R, Bressel M, Tran P, Tedesco J, Tai KH, Ball D, Duchesne G, Foroudi F. Asia Pac J Clin Oncol. 2017 Dec;13(6):400-406
- Support for the use of objective comorbidity indices in the assessment of noncancer death risk in prostate cancer patients Ng SP, Duchesne G, Tai KH, Foroudi F, Kothari G, Williams S Prostate Int. 2017 Mar;5(1):8-12
- Randomized Trial of a Hypofractionated Radiation Regimen for the Treatment of Localized Prostate Cancer Catton CN, Lukka H, Gu CS, Martin JM, Supiot S, Chung PW, Bauman GS, Bahary JP, Ahmed S, Cheung P, Tai KH, Wu JS, Parliament MB, Tsakiridis T, Corbett TB, Tang C, Dayes IS, Warde P, Craig TK, Julian JA, Levine MN. J Clin Oncol. 2017 Mar 15
- Oligometastatic bone disease in prostate cancer patients treated on the TROG 03.04 RADAR trial. Sridharan S, Steigler A, Spry NA, Joseph D, Lamb DS, Matthews JH, Atkinson C, Tai KH, Duchesne G, Christie D, Attia J, Holliday EG, Denham JW. Radiother Oncol. 2016 Oct;121(1):98-102
- Nurse-led group consultation intervention reduces depressive symptoms in men with localised prostate cancer: a cluster randomised controlled trial. Schofield P, Gough K, Lotfi-Jam K, Bergin R, Ugalde A, Dudgeon P, Crellin W, Schubach K, Foroudi F, Tai KH, Duchesne G, Sanson-Fisher R, Aranda S. BMC Cancer. 2016 Aug 16;16:637.
- Oligometastatic bone disease in prostate cancer patients treated on the TROG 03.04 RADAR trial. Sridharan S, Steigler A, Spry NA, Joseph D, Lamb DS, Matthews JH, Atkinson C, Tai KH, Duchesne G, Christie D, Attia J, Holliday EG, Denham JW. Radiother Oncol. 2016 Aug 12.
- Timing of androgen-deprivation therapy in patients with prostate cancer with a rising PSA (TROG 03.06 and VCOG PR 01-03 [TOAD]): a randomised, multicentre, non-blinded, phase 3 trial. Duchesne GM, Woo HH, Bassett JK, Bowe SJ, D'Este C, Frydenberg M, King M, Ledwich L, Loblaw A, Malone S, Millar J, Milne R, Smith RG, Spry N, Stockler M, Syme RA, Tai KH, Turner S. Lancet Oncol. 2016 Jun;17(6):727-37.