Associate Professor Michael Dickinson is the Lead of the Aggressive Lymphoma disease group within Clinical Haematology at Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre and Royal Melbourne Hospital. He specialises as a principal investigator in phase I/II clinical trials of new anticancer drugs with a current focus on Aggressive Lymphomas and novel immunotherapies, but with experience across a breadth of haematological malignancies. His investigator-initiated studies have focused on the role of epigenetic modifiers in haematological malignancies, eltrombopag as a supportive care agent in MDS/AML, and new CART therapies. Michael's clinical research includes industry and investigator-led trials in aggressive lymphoma, phase 1 studies, and CART trials.
Michael prides himself on providing thorough and personal care to his patients throughout their cancer journey.
His current focus is:
1. The continuous improvement of the lymphoma assessment service for patients with a new diagnosis of lymphoma or a lump for investigation; delivering best in the country diagnosis and staging evaluation in collaboration with Australia's leading haematopathology and molecular pathology centre, and with PET-centre physicians with a special interest in lymphoma.
2. Providing the best options for patients where standard treatments fail: Australia's largest and most comprehensive trials programme for patients with relapsed or treatment -refractory lymphoma. Our early phase trial pipeline allows patients the best opportunity to harness new targeted treatments for cell signalling in lymphoma, and immunotherapies. At Peter Mac, our special expertise is in the development of the BCL-2 inhibitors (eg venetoclax), epigenetic therapies, T-cell activating medications, and CART.
3. Providing new treatment options for patients with T-cell lymphoma.
4. Building our CAR T program, both as a standard of care (if public funding is approved) and also providing CAR T trial options for patients with lymphoma.
5. Providing a training environment for tomorrow's experts.
2013: Julie Borschmann Research Fellow, University of Melbourne
2018: Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre Clinical Research Fellowship