Stomal therapy nurses are registered nurses who have undertaken further education enabling them to provide specialised care for people undergoing surgery that involves the formation of a stoma.
A stoma is a surgically created opening on the body that allows for the passage of waste. A stoma may be temporary or permanent. Types of stomas include colostomy, ileostomy and ileal conduit (or urinary diversion).
The stomal therapy nursing team at Peter MacCallum strive to provide quality, ongoing care for all Peter Mac patients living with a stoma, regardless of the type of cancer.
Family and/or friends are encouraged to be involved in stoma care education at the discretion of the patient.
The stomal therapy nursing service at Peter MacCallum provides specialised inpatient and ambulatory care for patients including the following services:
- Pre-operative education, counselling and siting of all patients undergoing surgery that may potentially involve the formation of a stoma.
- Post-operative education to promote independence in stoma care.
- Ongoing outpatient support for people living with a stoma including intervention, travel advice, revision/management of stoma supplies,
- Liaison with external/community health care providers to ensure ongoing support if required
- Consultation for management of fistulae and large wounds
- Assistance and support for patients that have long term drain tubes or fistulae
- Colostomy irrigation education
- Assistance with management of faecal incontinence/post operative bowel dysfunction
- Stoma/wound care education for Peter Mac staff
- Support for PEG service (percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy feeding tubes) including advice about skin care at site, tube changes and/or removals and attendance at the multidisciplinary PEG clinic weekly
Clinics are by appointment only
Stomal Therapy clinics
Tuesday 1:30pm – 4:30pm
Friday 1:30pm – 4:30pm
Multidisciplinary PEG clinic
Wednesday 1:30pm – 4:30pm
Any patient undergoing treatment at Peter Mac who would like a clinical review or information and /or advice about stoma care is encouraged to self refer to the stomal therapy nursing service for an appointment using the contact details below.
Any member of a patient’s treating team can also make referrals to stomal therapy nursing.
Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre
305 Grattan Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Stomal therapy nurses
Email us or ask the switchboard to transfer you to one of our stomal therapy nurses
Phone: (03) 8559 5000
Email: [email protected]
Nurse Coordinator Lower Gastrointestinal Tumour Stream (Peter Mac)
Email: Claire.Sc[email protected]