Your prehabilitation team will work with you to create a personal plan. This plan is tailored to prepare you for your upcoming treatment.
- If you are planned for major surgery or a stem cell transplant you will have a comprehensive assessment of your medical conditions and you may be referred for prehabilitation. Your medical assessment may involve having a fitness test known as a cardiopulmonary exercise test (CPET). If necessary you may be referred to other doctors such as cardiologists or respiratory physicians prior to or during your prehabilitation program.
- After this consultation, you may be referred to one or more of the prehabilitation team mentioned below:
Your prehabilitation team will work with you to create a personal plan
This plan is tailored to prepare you for your upcoming treatment. The plan may include:
- Exercise program tailored to your ability and needs (home-based and/or supervised gym program)
- For patients planned for surgery, lung exercises will be prescribed to prevent complications after surgery
- Nutrition assessment and advice around what food/drink will be best for you in relation to your treatment
- Psychological assessment, strategies and support
- For patients planned for surgery, Invitation to an educational session (Surgery School)
- Information on how to access to online learning materials (websites).
After your procedure
During your inpatient stay you will receive usual follow-up care on the ward from all necessary team members. Your prehabilitation team will be communicating with your broader medical and nursing team to ensure a smooth transition of care throughout this time.
Who do you ask for more information or a referral to our service?
Please speak to your Peter MacCallum doctors and nurses for more information. They may also provide you with a referral to our prehabilitation program.