The Acute and Persistent Pain Service at Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre specialises in the management of cancer-related pain and provides a multidisciplinary approach to treating patients with cancer-related pain.
WHAT IS THE ACUTE AND PERSISTENT PAIN SERVICE?
We are a team of pain specialist doctors and nurses working alongside physiotherapists, occupational therapists, psychologists and psychiatrists. We aim to provide an individualised approach in the management of our patients' cancer-related pain.
HOW CAN THE ACUTE AND PERSISTENT PAIN SERVICE HELP?
We offer the following services:
- Acute Pain Service:
- Pre-operative assessment and support
- Daily ward round of patients who require pain specialist review
- 24 hour coverage for patients who require a pain specialist review
- Acute & Persistent Pain Clinic:
- Pain specialist clinic for patients experiencing pain during the course of their cancer treatment, or those who have persistent pain following surgery, chemotherapy or radiotherapy, or patients in remission who continue to experience pain.
- Facilitate transitioning off acute and/or chronic pain medications and/or interventional procedures
- Interventional procedures
- A dedicated information hotline for patients who may require assistance with their pain medication either following discharge from hospital, or between clinic appointments
Acute and Persistent Pain Clinic: Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
Acute Pain Service: 24 hours a day
Acute Pain Nurse Information Hotline: Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm
Phone: (03) 8559 5000 - ask switchboard to transfer you to the pain team.
Referral to the Peter MacCallum Acute and Persistent Pain Service requires a medical referral from a GP or other specialist.
For more information about referring a patient, please visit our referrals page.
Our pain specialists are:
- Dr Jamie Young
- Dr Chris Chan
- Dr Yuen Leow
- Dr Catherine Algie
- Dr Jason Chou
MORE ABOUT PAIN EDUCATION FOR health PROFESSIONALS
The Acute & Persistent Pain Service at the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre is an accredited training facility for the Faculty of Pain Medicine, Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists (ANZCA), the professional organisation for specialist pain medicine physicians (Fellows).
Visit the ANZCA Faculty of Pain Medicine for more information about pain education for professionals.
Phone: 03 8559 5000
Ask switchboard to transfer you to the pain team.