The Australian Cancer Survivorship Centre (ACSC) is a unique service based at Peter Mac. Our vision is to optimise the health and wellbeing of cancer survivors and their carers.
Keep up to date with our publications and newsletters. Join our ACSC mailing list.
The Australian Cancer Survivorship Centre (ACSC) program of work is guided by our Strategic Plan 2020-2025
We invite you to read more about our Highlights from 2017 - 2022.
Survivorship in the news
- Holistic care for cancer survivors, published in The Lancet’s 16 April 2022 edition. Prof Michael Jefford, Director of the ACSC, co-led the series, with Prof Jon Emery (University of Melbourne) and Dr Emily Tonorezos (Office of Cancer Survivorship, US National Cancer Institute). The three papers address common issues experienced by survivors, their clinical management, and the design of current and improved models of cancer care. The third paper focuses on issues and concerns for those who are survivors of cancer in childhood and adolescence. Dr Jeremy Lewin, Medical Director of Peter Mac’s ONTrac adolescent and young adult service, contributed to the third paper. Other Peter Mac contributors are Dr Karolina Lisy, Senior Research Fellow, ACSC and the Department of Health Services Research (DHSR), and Dr Julia Lai-Kwon, medical oncologist and PhD student, DHSR.
- Management of common clinical problems experienced by survivors of cancer
- Improved models of care for cancer survivors
- Long-term care for people treated for cancer during childhood and adolescence
- Podcast - Cancer Survivorship Guide: Welcome to Survivorship. Prof Michael Jefford (ACSC Director) and Dr Karolina Lisy (researcher, ACSC) spoke to ABC Radio presenter, Penny Johnston, focusing on what is cancer survivorship.
- Expert editorial by Karolina Lisy, Michael Jefford and Julia Lai-Kwon : Sharing the Care of Cancer Survivors, Following Initial Treatments. Published in the ASCO Daily News. July 10, 2019.
- On the PC4’s Research Round-up podcast series with Dr Kristi Milley, Professor Michael Jefford spoke about a review he co-authored regarding effective methods of patient-physician communication in cancer care and Dr Karolina Lisy discussed her research identifying the most prevalent unmet needs of Australian cancer survivors.
- On the Simplify Cancer podcast, Professor Jefford talks about the Survivorship Blueprint on the Simplify Podcast (Episode 16).
- On the Nightlife with Philip Clark podcast, Professor Michael Jefford and Meg Rynderman OAM discuss Life after Cancer.
The ACSC publishes several newsletters and an annual year in review:
- Year in Review 2018
- ACSC Newsletter November 2018
- ACSC Newsletter August 2018
- ACSC Newsletter June 2018
- Year in Review 2014
- ACSC Newsletter December 2014
- ACSC Newsletter November 2014
- ACSC Newsletter June 2014
- Survivorship care plan literature review (Jan 2016)
- Needs assessment tools for survivors review (Jan 2016)
- General practice clinical placement pilot Program: final report (2015)
- Evaluation of the implementation of survivorship care plans at the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre (2014)
- Emery J, Butow P, Lai-Kwon J, Nekhlyudov L, Rynderman M, Jefford M. Management of common clinical problems experienced by survivors of cancer. The Lancet. 2022 Apr 16;399(10334):1537-1550. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(22)00242-2
- Crawford-Williams F, Koczwara B, Chan RJ, Vardy J, Lisy K, Morris J, et al. Defining research and infrastructure priorities for cancer survivorship in Australia: A modified Delphi study. Support Care Cancer. 2022 Jan 15;30(5):3805–3815. doi 10.1007/s00520-021-06744-2
- Jefford M, Howell D, Li Q, Lisy K, Maher J, Alfano CM, Rynderman M, Emergy J. Improved models of care for cancer survivors. The Lancet. 2022 Apr 16;399(10334):1551-1560. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(22)00306-3
- Koo K, Papa N, Evans M, Jefford M, Ijzerman M, White V, et al. Mapping disadvantage: Identifying inequities in functional outcomes for prostate cancer survivors based on geography. BMC Cancer. 2022 Mar; 22:283. doi:10.1186/s12885-022-09389-4
- Livingston PM, Russell L, Orellana L, Winter N, Jefford M, Girgis A, et al. Efficacy and cost-effectiveness of an online mindfulness program (MindOnLine) to reduce fear of recurrence among people with cancer: Study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. BMJ Open. 2022 Jan 12;12(1):e057212. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2021-057212
- Mazariego C, Jefford M, Chan RJ, Roberts N, Millar L, Anazodo A, et al. Priority recommendations for the implementation of patient-reported outcomes in clinical cancer care: A Delphi study. J Cancer Surviv. 2022 Feb 2;16(1):33–43. doi: 10.1007/s11764-021-01135-2
- Smith AL, Hart NH, Jefford M, Chan RJ. Survivorship research for people with metastatic or advanced cancer: A time for action. Asia Pac J Oncol Nurs. 2022 Feb 11. doi: 10.1016/j.apjon.2022.02.001
- White VM, Lisy K, Ward A, Ristevski E, Clode M, Webber K, et al. Disparities in quality of life, social distress and employment outcomes in Australian cancer survivors. Support Care Cancer. 2022 Mar 12. doi:10.1007/s00520-022-06914-w
- White VM, Lisy K, Ward A, Ristevski E, Clode M, Webber K, Emery J, Ijzerman MJ, Afshar N, Millar J, Gibbs P. Disparities in quality of life, social distress and employment outcomes in Australian cancer survivors. Supportive Care in Cancer. 2022 Mar 12:1-1.
- Chan RJ, Crichton M, Crawford-Williams F, Agbejule OA, Yu K, Hart NH, de Abreu Alves F, Ashbury FD, Eng L, Fitch M, Jain H. The efficacy, challenges, and facilitators of telemedicine in post-treatment cancer survivorship care: an overview of systematic reviews. Annals of Oncology: Official Journal of the European Society for Medical Oncology. 2021 Sep 9.
- Chan RJ, Crawford-Williams F, Crichton M, Joseph R, Hart NH, Milley K, Druce P, Zhang J, Jefford M, Lisy K, Emery J. Effectiveness and implementation of models of cancer survivorship care: an overview of systematic reviews. Journal of Cancer Survivorship. 2021 Nov 16:1-25.
- Chan RJ, Agbejule OA, Yates PM, Emery J, Jefford M, Koczwara B, Hart NH, Crichton M, Nekhlyudov L. Outcomes of cancer survivorship education and training for primary care providers: a systematic review. Journal of Cancer Survivorship. 2021 Mar 24:1-24. doi: 10.1007/s11764-021-01018-6
- Fox J, Thamm C, Mitchell G, Emery J, Rhee J, Hart NH, Yates P, Jefford M, Koczwara B, Halcomb E, Steinhardt R. Cancer survivorship care and general practice: A qualitative study of roles of general practice team members in Australia. Health & Social Care in the Community. 2021 Aug 22.
- Heynemann S, Lai-Kwon J, Flore J, Dhillon H, Duffy M, Burke J, Briggs L, Leigh L, Mileshkin L, Solomon B, Ball D. P39. 06 Surviving Metastatic Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer–Experience and Supportive Care Needs of Patients Receiving Novel Therapies. Journal of Thoracic Oncology. 2021 Mar 1;16(3):S468. doi: 10.1016/j.jtho.2021.01.806
- Howell D, Mayer DK, Fielding R, Eicher M, Verdonck-de Leeuw IM, Johansen C, Soto-Perez-de-Celis E, Foster C, Chan R, Alfano CM, Hudson SV. Management of cancer and health after the clinic visit: a call to action for self-management in cancer care. JNCI: Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 2021 May;113(5):523-31. doi: 10.1093/jnci/djaa083
- Jefford M. Optimal care for people affected by cancer. Australian Journal of General Practice. 2021 Aug 1;50(8):517-.
- Koczwara B, Bonnamy J, Briggs P, Brown B, Butow PN, Chan RJ, Cohn RJ, Girgis A, Jefford M, Joske DJ, Licqurish S. Patient-reported outcomes and personalised cancer care. The Medical journal of Australia. 2021 May;214(9):406-8. doi: 10.5694/mja2.50893
- Lai-Kwon J, Heynemann S, Flore J, Dhillon H, Duffy M, Burke J, Briggs L, Leigh L, Mileshkin L, Solomon B, Ball D. Living with and beyond metastatic non-small cell lung cancer: the survivorship experience for people treated with immunotherapy or targeted therapy. Journal of Cancer Survivorship. 2021 Jun;15(3):392. doi: 10.1007/s11764-021-01024-8
- Lisy K, Kim J, Jefford M. Integrating Cancer Survivorship into Primary Care. Essentials of Cancer Survivorship: A Guide for Medical Professionals. 2021 Nov 10:209.
- Lisy K, Ly L, Kelly H, Clode M, Jefford M. How Do We Define and Measure Optimal Care for Cancer Survivors? An Online Modified Reactive Delphi Study. Cancers. 2021 Jan;13(10):2299. doi: 10.5694/mja2.50893
- Eakin EG, Reeves MM, Goode AD, Winkler EA, Vardy JL, Boyle F, Haas MR, Hiller JE, Mishra GD, Jefford M, Koczwara B. Translating research into practice: outcomes from the Healthy Living after Cancer partnership project. BMC cancer. 2020 Dec;20(1):1-3. doi: 10.1186/s12885-020-07454-4
- Garwood V, Lisy K, Jefford M. Survivorship in colorectal cancer: A cohort study of the patterns and documented content of follow-up visits. Journal of clinical medicine. 2020 Sep;9(9):2725. doi: 10.3390/jcm9092725
- Halkett GK, Merchant S, Smith SK, O’Connor M, Jefford M, Aranda S, Schofield P. Supporting and preparing patients for radiotherapy: Patients’ and radiation therapists’ perspectives on their one‐to‐one consultations. European Journal of Cancer Care. 2020 Nov;29(6):e13284. doi: 10.1111/ecc.13284
- Hyatt A, Lipson-Smith R, Morkunas B, Krishnasamy M, Jefford M, Baxter K, Gough K, Murphy D, Drosdowsky A, Phipps-Nelson J, White F. Testing consultation recordings in a clinical setting with the SecondEars smartphone app: mixed methods implementation study. JMIR mHealth and uHealth. 2020 Jan 21;8(1):e15593. doi: 10.2196/15593.
- Lisy K, Hulbert-Williams N, Ussher JM, Alpert A, Kamen C, Jefford M. Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender issues. Sexual Health, Fertility, and Relationships in Cancer Care. 2020:1-0.
- Jefford M. Improving the care of adult cancer survivors. Asia-Pacific journal of oncology nursing. 2020 Jan;7(1):2.
- Jefford M. Re: Developing a Quality of Cancer Survivorship Care Framework: Implications for Clinical Care, Research, and Policy. JNCI: Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 2020 Mar 1;112(3):320-1. doi: 10.1093/jnci/djz129
- Jefford M, Koczwara B, Emery J, Thornton-Benko E, Vardy J. The important role of general practice in the care of cancer survivors. Australian journal of general practice. 2020 May;49(5):289-92. doi: 10.31128
- Lai-Kwon JE, Heynemann S, Flore J, Duffy M, Kokanovic R, Jefford M. Surviving metastatic non-small cell lung cancer (mNSCLC): The lived experience and supportive care needs of patients (pts) receiving immunotherapy (IT) or targeted therapy (TT). doi: 10.1200/JCO.2020.38.15
- Lim BT, Butow P, Sze ML, Girgis A, Jefford M, Goldstein D, Costa D. Impact of migrancy on cancer clinical trial participation: Factors associated with approach and consent in Australian‐born versus migrant groups. Asia‐Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2020 Jun;16(3):115-22. doi: 10.1111/ajco.13290
- Jefford M, Ward AC, Lisy K, Lacey K, Emery JD, Glaser AW, Cross H, Krishnasamy M, McLachlan SA, Bishop J. Patient-reported outcomes in cancer survivors: a population-wide cross-sectional study. Supportive Care in Cancer. 2017 Oct;25(10):3171-9. doi: 10.1007/s00520-020-05624-5
- Lisy K, Lai-Kwon J, Ward A, Sandhu S, Kasparian NA, Winstanley J, Boyle F, Gyorki D, Lacey K, Bishop J, Jefford M. Patient-reported outcomes in melanoma survivors at 1, 3 and 5 years post-diagnosis: a population-based cross-sectional study. Quality of Life Research. 2020 Aug;29(8):2021-7. doi: 10.1007/s11136-020-02464-y
- Ly L, Lisy K, Clode M, Kelly H, Jefford M. Defining and measuring quality cancer survivorship care: An environmental scan. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2020 Oct;38(29):219. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2020.38.29_suppl.219
- Lynch FA, Katona L, Jefford M, Smith AB, Shaw J, Dhillon HM, Ellen S, Phipps-Nelson J, Lai-Kwon J, Milne D, Russell L. Feasibility and Acceptability of fear-less: a stepped-care program to manage fear of cancer recurrence in people with metastatic melanoma. Journal of clinical medicine. 2020 Sep;9(9):2969. doi: 10.3390/jcm9092969
- Mollica MA, Mayer DK, Oeffinger KC, Kim Y, Buckenmaier SS, Sivaram S, Muha C, Taib NA, Andritsch E, Asuzu CC, Bochis OV. Follow-up care for breast and colorectal cancer across the globe: survey findings from 27 countries. JCO global oncology. 2020 Sep;6:1394-411. doi: 10.1200/GO.20.00180
- Morales CZ, McDowell L, Lisy K, Piper A, Jefford M. Return to work in survivors of human Papillomavirus–Associated oropharyngeal cancer: An australian experience. International Journal of Radiation Oncology* Biology* Physics. 2020 Jan 1;106(1):146-56. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2019.09.001
- Pillay B, Ftanou M, Ritchie D, Panek-Hudson Y, Jefford M, Garcia T, Shields C, Gniel J, Phipps-Nelson J, Drosdowsky A, Blaschke S. Study protocol of a pilot study evaluating feasibility and acceptability of a psychosexual intervention for couples postallogeneic haematopoietic stem cell transplantation. BMJ open. 2020 Oct 1;10(10):e039300. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2020-039300
- Piper A, Leon L, Kelly H, Bailey A, Wiley G, Lisy K, Simkiss L, Jefford M. Clinical placement program in cancer survivorship for primary care providers 2017–2019. Journal of Cancer Survivorship. 2020 Feb;14(1):14-8. doi.org/10.1007/s11764-019-00817-2
- Sheppard DM, Frost D, Jefford M, O’Connor M, Halkett G. Building a novel occupational rehabilitation program to support cancer survivors to return to health, wellness, and work in Australia. Journal of Cancer Survivorship. 2020 Feb;14(1):31-5. doi: 10.1007/s11764-019-00824-3
- Skandarajah AR, Lisy K, Ward A, Bishop J, Lacey K, Mann B, Jefford M. Patient-reported outcomes in survivors of breast cancer one, three, and five years post-diagnosis: a cancer registry-based feasibility study. Quality of Life Research. 2021 Feb;30(2):385-94. doi: 10.1007/s11136-020-02652-w
- Alfano CM, Jefford M, Maher J, Birken SA, Mayer DK. Building personalized cancer follow-up care pathways in the United States: lessons learned from implementation in England, Northern Ireland, and Australia. American Society of Clinical Oncology Educational Book. 2019 May 17;39:625-39.
- Lai-Kwon J, Khoo C, Lo S, Milne D, Mohamed M, Raleigh J, Smith K, Lisy K, Sandhu S, Jefford M. The survivorship experience for patients with metastatic melanoma on immune checkpoint and BRAF-MEK inhibitors. Journal of Cancer Survivorship. 2019 Aug;13(4):503-11. doi: 10.1007/s11764-019-00770-0
- Licqurish SM, Cook OY, Pattuwage LP, Saunders C, Jefford M, Koczwara B, Johnson CE, Emery JD. Tools to facilitate communication during physician‐patient consultations in cancer care: An overview of systematic reviews. CA: a cancer journal for clinicians. 2019 Nov;69(6):497-520. doi: 10.3322/caac.21573
- Lisy K, Lai-Kwon J, Jefford M. Expert editorial: Sharing the care of cancer survivors, following initial treatments. ASCO Daily News 2019 July.
- Lisy K, Langdon L, Piper A, Jefford M. Identifying the most prevalent unmet needs of cancer survivors in Australia: A systematic review. Asia‐Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2019 Oct;15(5):e68-78. doi: 10.1111/ajco.13176
- Lisy K, Ward A, Schofield P, Hulbert Williams N, Bishop J & Jefford M. Patient-reported outcomes of sexual and gender minority cancer survivors in Australia. Psycho oncology. 2019 Feb;28(2):442-444. doi: 10.1002/pon.4956
- Lotfi-Jam K, Gough K, Schofield P, Aranda S, Jefford M. A longitudinal study of four unique trajectories of psychological distress in cancer survivors after completing potentially curative treatment. Acta Oncologica. 2019 May 4;58(5):782-9. doi: 10.1080/0284186X.2018.1562209
- Pillay B, Ftanou M, Ritchie D, Panek-Hudson Y, Jefford M, Garcia T, Shields C, Gniel J, Ellen S, Phipps-Nelson J, Drosdowsky A. A Psychosexual Intervention for Couples within the First Year Post-Allogeneic Haematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation: A Pilot Study. Asia-Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2019 Nov 1;15:159-60.
- Sheppard DM, Frost D, Jefford M, O’Connor M, Halkett G. Building a novel occupational rehabilitation program to support cancer survivors to return to health, wellness, and work in Australia. Journal of Cancer Survivorship. 2020 Feb;14(1):31-5.
- Stephenson MD, Lisy K, Stern CJ, Feyer AM, Fisher L, Aromataris EC. The impact of integrated care for people with chronic conditions on hospital and emergency department utilization: a rapid review. International journal of evidence-based healthcare. 2019 Mar 1;17(1):14-26. doi: 10.1097/XEB.0000000000000151
- Vardy JL, Chan RJ, Koczwara B, Lisy K, Cohn RJ, Joske D, Dhillon HM, Jefford M. Clinical Oncology Society of Australia position statement on cancer survivorship care. Australian journal of general practice. 2019 Dec;48(12):833-6.
- Findley PA, Jefford M, Johanssen C, Cheng AS. International perspectives. Handbook of Cancer Survivorship. 2018:381-98.
- Jiao M, Hall AE, Nolte L, Piper A, Lisy K, Jefford M. A rapid review of needs assessment tools for post‐treatment cancer survivors. European journal of cancer care. 2018 Mar;27(2):e12764.
- Lisy K, Denehy L, Chan R, Khan F, Piper A, Jefford M. The state of cancer rehabilitation in Australia. Journal of Cancer Rehabilitation. 2018;1:9-13.
- Lisy K, Peters MD, Schofield P, Jefford M. Experiences and unmet needs of lesbian, gay, and bisexual people with cancer care: A systematic review and meta‐synthesis. Psycho‐oncology. 2018 Jun;27(6):1480-9. doi: 10.1002/pon.4674
- Wiley G, Piper A, Butow AP, Schofield P, Douglas F, Roy J, Nolte L, Jefford M. Developing written information for cancer survivors from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds: Lessons learnt. Asia-Pacific journal of oncology nursing. 2018 Jan;5(1):121. doi: 10.4103/apjon.apjon_63_17
- Jefford M, Emery J, Grunfeld E, Martin A, Rodger P, Murray AM, Lourenco RD, Heriot A, Phipps-Nelson J, Guccione L, King D. SCORE: shared care of colorectal cancer survivors: protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials. 2017 Dec;18(1):1-0. doi: 10.1186/s13063-017-2245-4
- Jefford M, Ward AC, Lisy K, Lacey K, Emery JD, Glaser AW, Cross H, Krishnasamy M, McLachlan SA, Bishop J. Patient-reported outcomes in cancer survivors: a population-wide cross-sectional study. Supportive Care in Cancer. 2017 Oct;25(10):3171-9. doi: 10.1007/ s00520-017-3725-5
- Kinnane NA, Piper AJ, Jefford M. How will cancer survivors use survivorship care plans? Acta Oncologica. 2017 Feb 1;56(2):183-9. doi: 10.1080/0284186X.2016.1266082
- Kinnane NA, Piper A, Wiley G, Nolte L, Evans J, Jefford M. Transforming cancer survivorship care: An australian experience. Asia-Pacific journal of oncology nursing. 2017 Apr;4(2):91. doi: 10.4103/2347-5625.204498
- Lai-Kwon J, Jefford M. Improving care for cancer survivors. Expert Review of Quality of Life in Cancer Care. 2017 Sep 3;2(5):251-62. doi: 10.1080/23809000.2017.1378072
- Lisy K, Emery JD, Jefford M. Provider roles in survivorship care: moving beyond surveys of patient preference. Journal of clinical oncology: official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. 2017 Dec 1;35(34):3890. doi: 10.1200/ JCO.2017.75.7187.
- Shaw T, Yates P, Moore B, Ash K, Nolte L, Krishnasamy M, Nicholson J, Rynderman M, Avery J, Jefford M. Development and evaluation of an online educational resource about cancer survivorship for cancer nurses: a mixed‐methods sequential study. European journal of cancer care. 2017 Jul;26(4):e12576. doi: 10.1111/ecc.12576
- Wiley G, Piper A, Butow AP, Schofield P, Douglas F, Roy J, Nolte L, Jefford M. Developing written information for cancer survivors from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds: Lessons learnt. Asia-Pacific journal of oncology nursing. 2018 Jan;5(1):121.doi: 10.4103/apjon. apjon_63_17.
- Evans J, Nolte L, Piper A, Simkiss L, Whitfield K, Jefford M. A clinical placement program for primary care professionals at a comprehensive cancer centre. Australian family physician. 2016 Aug;45(8):606-10.
- Nolte L, Kinnane N, Lai-Kwon J, Gates P, Shilkin P, Jefford M. The Impact of Survivorship Care Planning on Patients, General Practitioners, and Hospital-Based Staff. Cancer nursing. 2016 Nov 1;39(6):E26-35. doi: 10.1097/NCC.0000000000000329.
- Jefford M, Kinnane N, Howell P, Nolte L, Galetakis S, Bruce Mann G, Naccarella L, Lai‐Kwon J, Simons K, Avery S, Thompson K. Implementing novel models of posttreatment care for cancer survivors: enablers, challenges and recommendations. Asia‐Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2015 Dec;11(4):319-27. doi: 10.1111/ajco.12406
- Nolte L, Kinnane N, Lai-Kwon J, Gates P, Shilkin P, Jefford M. The Impact of Survivorship Care Planning on Patients, General Practitioners, and Hospital-Based Staff. Cancer nursing. 2016 Nov 1;39(6):E26-35. doi: 10.1097/ncc.0000000000000329].
- O’Callaghan C, Schofield P, Butow P, Nolte L, Price M, Tsintziras S, Sze M, Thein T, Yiu D, Mireskandari S, Goldstein D. “I might not have cancer if you didn’t mention it”: a qualitative study on information needed by culturally diverse cancer survivors. Supportive care in cancer. 2016 Jan;24(1):409-18. doi: 10.1007/s00520-015-2811-9.