A guide to preparing (prehabilitation) for radiotherapy for people with head and neck cancer and their carers.
What is Prep-4-RT?
- A one-stop-shop guide that links you with reliable information and resources about how to prepare for radiotherapy including information about how to eat well and get the nutrition you need, look after your emotional health while facing challenges, exercises you can do for speech and swallowing, as well as exercise tips for keeping physically active and strong
- Includes practical tips, guidance about warning signs to look for and information about when you should ask for help
The Prep-4-RT program was developed throughout 2022-23, with funding from the Western & Central Melbourne Integrated Cancer Services (WCMICS).
This program was developed in partnership with patients, carers and health professionals in collaboration with the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre (lead site), Bendigo Health and the Royal Melbourne Hospital and supported by a project Steering Committee members.
We thank and acknowledge:
- The project Steering Committee members: Shannon Turnbull, Lora Winter, Dr Jacqui Frowen, Wendy Poon, Sharyn McGowan, A/Prof Karla Gough, Dr David Wiesenfeld, Michael Barton, Prof Mei Krishnasamy, Dr Lachlan McDowell, Dr Hilmy Ismail and Anya Traill.
- Patients, carers and health professionals that joined the consumer workshops
- Patients, carers and health professionals who participated in filming the resource videos
- Those that took the time to provide feedback on the pathway
- The Peter Mac Nutrition & Speech Pathology Department, Psychosocial Oncology Program and Physiotherapy Department.
- Project Leads Jenelle Loeliger and Dr Maria Ftanou
- Project Managers Ella Sexton and Hannah Ray.
Get started by accessing the Prep-4-RT resources:
- Introducing prehabilitation for radiotherapy
- What is it like to go through radiotherapy?
- Preparing for radiotherapy: How do you do it?
- Your guide to tube feeding
- Guidance for Carers and Support People