Our research staff are seeking novel and innovative solutions to understand, diagnose and treat a complex and multi-faceted problem, cancer.
These answers are only possible when our innovative thinkers have the support they need to test their hypotheses and to trial new treatments and diagnostic approaches.
Grants, commercial partnerships and philanthropic donations generously support our cancer research across (basic) laboratory, clinical and translational research.
People support awards
Senior fellowships (research, practitioner)
Career development fellowships and early career awards
Our research excellence is reflected in our success in securing highly competitive national and international peer-reviewed funding, including:
- NHMRC funding (Investigator, Ideas, Synergy, Development, Partnerships, Centres of Research Excellence)
- ARC funding (Discovery, Future Fellowships)
- Other Australian grants
- International grants.
Administration of research funding
Depending on the type of funding, most awards and grants are administered by the Peter Mac Research Grants team through a strong and long-standing affiliation with the Sir Peter MacCallum Department of Oncology at The University of Melbourne (headed by Prof Ricky Johnstone).
Philanthropic (trust and foundation) donations are administered through the Peter MacCallum Cancer Foundation.
Scholarships are administered through Research Education.
Peter Mac researchers gratefully acknowledge the generous funding support from different sponsors, including:
- American Association for Cancer Research
- American Institute for Cancer Research
- Australia and New Zealand Breast Cancer Trials Group
- Equity Trustees
- Australian Research Council (ARC)
- Australian Rotary Health
- Breast Cancer Research Foundation
- Cancer Australia
- Cancer Council NSW
- Cancer Council Victoria
- Cancer Research Institute
- Cancer Research UK
- Captain Courageous Foundation
- CASS Foundation
- Collier Charitable Fund
- Harold Mitchell Foundation
- Kids' Cancer Project
- Leukaemia Foundation
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- L.E.W. Carty Charitable Fund
- LiveStrong Foundation
- Lord Mayor's Charitable Fund
- Lymphoma Research Foundation
- Marian and E.H. Flack Trust
- Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF)
- Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation
- National Breast Cancer Foundation
- National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)
- National Stem Cell Foundation of Australia
- Perpetual Limited
- Peter MacCallum Cancer Foundation
- Pfizer Ltd
- Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia
- Ramaciotti Foundation
- Rivkin Center for Ovarian Cancer
- Sidney Myer Fund and The Myer Foundation
- Sir Edward 'Weary' Dunlop Medical Research Foundation
- State Trustees
- Susan G Komen
- Sylvia & Charles Viertel Charitable Foundation
- The Jack Brockhoff Foundation
- United States Department of Defense
- United States National Institutes of Health
- Victorian Cancer Agency
- Victorian Medical Research Acceleration Fund
- Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre Project
- William Angliss Charitable Fund.
Find a Researcher
To find a Cancer Research expert, please click on the link at the top of the page or visit the University of Melbourne's Find an Expert portal.
Peter Mac Research Grants team
Email: [email protected]
Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre
305 Grattan Street
Postal address: Locked Bag 1 A’Beckett Street, Victoria 8006, Australia
To support cancer research at Peter Mac, visit the Peter MacCallum Cancer Foundation page.