This type of review is suitable for Peter Mac staff only.
Retrospective research involves projects where there is a research hypothesis and statistical analysis of Peter Mac patient data from previous treatment or investigations, or of pre-existing research data, and an intent to publish or otherwise present the data beyond the staff of this hospital. This category includes retrospective studies that also collect prospectively anything that qualifies as clinical follow-up data, such as survival status at last contact, date of last contact, date and cause of death or other information related to the management of patients’ disease.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The following are NOT eligible for review by the Divisional Review Panels and will require Ethics Committee or Low and Negligible Risk Ethical Review Committee review:
- Studies that propose retrospective data collection and prospective collection of new raw data (other than information that would ordinarily be collected as part of patient management as described in the paragraph above)
- Projects collecting data that will be transferred to external organisations
- Projects requesting multisite ethical review
Submission due dates
Submit at any time.
PREPARING YOUR ETHICS APPLICATION
- Completed and signed Retrospective Study Application Form
- Protocol (a template protocol suitable for a simple Retrospective project is provided if required) NOTE: The protocol must have a version/date in the document e.g version X dated day month year.
- Declaration by Head of Supporting Department form (only if support is required from a department that does not have a member on the research team)
SUBMITTING YOUR ETHICS APPLICATION
- Please ensure that all required documents are completed and that the electronic files are clearly labelled.
- Email your submission to the appropriate Divisional Review Panel (see contacts below) with the term ‘Divisional Review Submission’ in the subject line of the email. Scanned copies of the signed application form(s) are acceptable.
Divisional Review Panel contacts are:
The Principal Investigator will be advised of the outcome of the review and any further queries or requirements.
APPLICATION FOR GOVERNANCE REVIEW FOR RETROSPECTIVE RESEARCH
No extra documents are required.