The Peter MacCallum Advanced Histology Platform provides a histology service dedicated to research.
Services and support offered
- Tissue processing and embedding
- Paraffin sectioning of tissues
- Frozen sectioning of tissues
- Bone decalcification
- Staining and coverslipping
- Tissue Tek VIP 6 and Leica CM3050 S Tissue processors
- Thermo fisher Cryostar NX70 Cryostats
- Medite Tes 99 Embedding centre
- Leica Jung XL Auto-stainer
- Instrumel GCS600 Coverslipper
- Dako USS Immunostainer
- Zeiss Hyrax M40 Rotary Microtomes
- Leica RM2255 Rotary Microtome
- Microm HM325 Rotary Microtome
- Leica Vibratome
- Sysmex cell analyser
Optical Microscopy Platform
The Peter MacCallum Advanced Optical Microscopy Platform incorporates multiple imaging modalities including wide-field microscopy, laser capture microscopy, laser scanning confocal microscopy, multi-photon intravital imaging, and super resolution microscopy. The multi-photon microscope is a recent addition and was purchased alongside the Zeiss Elrya super resolution confocal microscope (TIRF, SIM, PALM, dSTORM) and the fully automated slide Olympus VS120 scanner through a successful $3.5m grant from the Australian Cancer Research Foundation (ACRF). Five microscopes are dedicated to live cell imaging and are equipped with heated environmental chambers, gas control and motorized stages.
Services and support offered
- Assistance with experimental design and microscope selection
- Training and support on all microscopes
- Imaging of fixed or living cells and tissues
Confocal Laser Scanning Microscopes
- Zeiss Elyra 780 Confocal Equipped with a Zeiss Observer Z1 microscope and environmental chamber (Tokai Hit) for live cell imaging. Laser lines for confocal; 405, 458, 488, 514, 561 and 633nm.
- Leica TCS SP5 Confocal. Equipped with a Leica DMI6000 microscope, Marzhauser motorised stage and Ludin environmental chamber for live cell imaging. Laser lines: 405, 458, 488, 514, 561 and 633nm.
- Olympus FV1000 Confocal. Equipped with an Olympus BX61 microscope. Laser lines: 405, 458, 488, 515, 543 and 633nm.
- Nikon C2 Confocal. Equipped with an Eclipse Ni-E microscope. Laser lines 405, 488, 561 and 640nm.
- Andor Spinning Disc CSU22 microscope. Equipped with an Olympus BX71 microscope, prior motorised stage and Ludin environmental chamber. Laser lines: 405, 488, 561 and 635nm.
- Biorad MRC1024 training confocal. Equipped with a Leica DMRBE microscope. Laser lines: 488, 568, 647nm.
Super Resolution Microscope
- Zeiss Elyra 780 SIM/3D PALM/dSTORM/TIRF Equipped with a Zeiss Observer Z1 microscope and environmental chamber (Tokai Hit) for live cell imaging. Laser lines for super resolution: 405, 488, 561 and 633nm.
- Olympus FVMPE-RS Upright multiphoton microscope with dual pulsed lasers and a SIM scanner. Equipped with a BX63 microscope, motorised stage, heat pad, and anaesthesia apparatus for intravital imaging.
Widefield Microscopes (all equipped with DIC and epi-fluorescence)
- Olympus IX3 optimised for ultra-fast image capture. Equipped with motorised Prior stage and Ludin environmental chamber for live cell imaging. Filter wheels enable 100 combinations of excitation/emission filters.
- Olympus IX81 equipped with motorised Prior stage and Ludin environmental chamber for live cell imaging. Filter wheels enable 100 combinations.
- Olympus BX61 microscope with Prior motorised stage.
- Olympus BX53 microscope.
- Olympus BX51 microscope.
- Zeiss Axiovert microscope.
- Leica DMIRB microscope.
- Olympus SZX12-ZB16 Stereo Microscope.
- Olympus SZ61 Stereo Microscope.
Automated slide scanner
- Olympus VS120 automated slide scanner equipped with a BX61VS microscope. Brightfield, DIC and epi-fluorescence imaging is available. 100-slide capacity.
Laser capture microscope
- Veritas Laser capture microscope with IR capture laser and UV cutting laser.
Electron Microscopy Platform
The Peter MacCallum Electron Microscopy Platform encompasses both scanning and transmission electron microscopy. Biological specimens are processed for ultrastructural morphological analysis and/or immuno-gold labelling of proteins. The platform houses an extensive range of ancillary equipment to facilitate a multitude of processing regimes including chemical or freeze fixation, freeze-substitution, embedding samples in different resins, and cryo-ultramicrotomy.
- Cryofixation and freeze substitution
- Tissue fixation, processing, and embedding (TEM)
- Tissue fixation, processing, and automated critical point drying (SEM)
- Resin sectioning
- Pre- and post-embedding immunogold labelling
- Imaging (SEM and TEM)
- JEOL 1011 Transmitted Electron Microscope.
- JEOL NeoScope II Scanning Electron Microscope.
- Leica EMCPD300 automated Critical Point Drying apparatus.
- Balzers CPD300 Critical Point Drying apparatus.
- Emscope SC500 Gold Sputter Coater.
- EmscopeTB500 Carbon Coater.
- Leica Empact High Pressure Freezer.
- Leica KF80 freeze slammer.
- Leica EMUC7 with FC7 cryo-attachment
- Reichert Ultracut S with FCS cryo-attachment
- Reichert Ultracut E.
- Leica EM AFS2 Automatic Freeze Substitution system.
- Reichert AFS Manual Freeze Substitution system.
- Leica EM IGL Automatic immuno-Gold Labelling apparatus.
Image Analysis Platform
The Peter MacCallum Image Analysis Platform provides a number of high-end image analysis software programs for powerful multi-dimensional analysis. Software is also provided to design custom items for specialist imaging requirements using our 3D printer.
- 3 High-End 64 bit computer workstations
- Metamorph Offline (13 licenses)
- Imaris (2 licenses)
- Volocity (2 licenses)
- Matlab (3 licenses)
- Prism 6 (multiple licenses)
- Nikon Elements Offline
- Zen 2011 Offline
- VS120 slide scanner Offline
Use of the facility is available to all VCCC members and external users, subject to availability.
For further information about accessing the Centre for Advanced Histology and Microscopy please contact us.
Associate Professor Sarah Ellis
Phone: 03 8559 7822
Email: [email protected]