The 2020-21 Annual Report details how Peter Mac continued to provide the best in cancer care, throughout an extraordinary year.
Despite the disruption and change caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, 2021 was a year of innovation and adaptation. Throughout the year Peter Mac made significant advances in the first year of implementing its Strategic Directions 2020-2025.
Detail on the many achievements and services provided to the community during 2020-2021 have been outlined in the Annual Report, which was released at Peter Mac’s Annual General Meeting held on 6 December 2021.
Snapshot of our year:
Our patient care
- 38,776 patients
- 41,923 inpatient separations
- 240,073 specialist appointments
- 25,142 telehealth appointments
- 3,201 elective surgery patients
- 2,758 nuclear medicine scans
- 9,381 PET scans
- 220,274 pathology requests.
- 40 research laboratories, including 3 translational research labs
- 501 active clinical trials
- $128.3m in research income
- 939 publications, including 182 in high-impact journals
- The new Strategic Plan for 2020 – 2025 articulates the ambitions of the Research division for delivering large scale, fundamental pre-clinical and clinical cancer research integrated with clinical care and education.
- 3,300 employees
- 750 researchers, including students
- 170 registered volunteers
- 155 higher-degree students
- $25.5 million in philanthropic funding through donations to the Peter MacCallum Cancer Foundation, supporting life-saving cancer research.
Our financial performance
- For the year ending 30 June 2021, excluding capital and specific items, Peter Mac recorded an operating surplus of $220,000.
Peter Mac extends heartfelt thanks to the community we are proud to serve.