Victoria’s Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre will complete the transfer of the majority of its patient services from its current site in East Melbourne to its new home within the $1 billion Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre (VCCC) building, this Friday 24 June 2016.

Peter Mac cares for some 31,000 cancer patients who together make more than 100,000 visits to its East Melbourne site over the course of a year. Three in four patients (75%) who visit Peter Mac’s East Melbourne site for treatment come from across metropolitan and suburban Melbourne. The remaining 25% travel in from regional and rural Victoria (see the media release belwo for a detailed breakdown).

Peter Mac Chief Executive Dale Fisher says it is important that our community is aware and understands the details of the move.

“Thousands of patients, their families and loved ones from across our city and state come to Peter Mac in East Melbourne each week for highly specialised cancer care, which in some cases involves several hours of travel and overnight stays,” Ms Fisher says.

“We want our community to know we are moving to a new location, which is still in central Melbourne but now on the northern edge of the city centre, at 305 Grattan Street, right opposite the Royal Melbourne Hospital.

“Our priority is to ensure that our patients do not miss any of their appointments or face delays in treatment. Appointments currently scheduled for East Melbourne, will automatically transfer to the same time and date at our new home.

“Carefully planning visits and allowing adequate time to get to Peter Mac’s new home will be important for patients and visitors coming to the new centre for the first time.”

Peter Mac is sending all patients with future appointments information on how to access the new building and transport options available to them. In case we do not reach all our community, Peter Mac will provide a regular bus service for people who inadvertently arrive for appointments at the old location from Friday 24 June 2016.

Patients can contact Peter Mac on either 03 9656 1111 or from 24 June 2016 on the new number 03 8559 5000.

MEDIA RELEASE - Peter Mac move, suburban and regional advice