Our 2015-16 Annual Report provides details of Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre's significant advancements in cancer research, treatment and care; solid financial performance; and our 2016 move to our new home within the state-of-the-art Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre (VCCC) building.
Snapshot of our year:
Amidst this period of substantial change and progress, we achieved or exceeded the vast majority of financial and nonfinancial targets set by the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), including a consolidated operating surplus of $27.4 million before capital and specific items. This result will enable Peter Mac to support its research and critical asset needs.
Underpinning all our work is our commitment to delivering the best in cancer care, accelerating discoveries, translating to cures.
Our patient care
- 13 multidisciplinary cancer care teams focused on specific tumour streams
- ~31,000 public and private patients treated
- ~261,000 episodes of cancer care
- ~51,000 bed days
- 98% patient satisfaction at June 2016
- Continuous improvement in independently assessed patient and community perceptions of the care we provide.
- 35 research laboratories.
- $44.7m in funding support secured through peer reviewed grant applications and commercial partnerships.
- $13.9m in new research grants from the National Health and Medical Research Council
- 525 articles in prestigious scientific and health journals bringing to life our contribution to world-wide understanding of cancer and global efforts to eradicate it
Our Peter Mac community
- 180 registered volunteers
- $52.4m in philanthropic funding through donations to the Peter MacCallum Cancer Foundation, supporting life-saving cancer research.
- 28,890 Australians now registered partners in discovery, donating to our Foundation on a monthly basis.
- ~2,500 staff
- 580+ laboratory and clinical cancer researchers
Our financial performance
- Consolidated surplus of $27.4 before capital and specific items, comparing favourably to our 2015-2016 surplus of $26.8m
Outstanding community support
Throughout this year, we have been constantly reminded of the extraordinary value of our extended Peter Mac community. From the 'Walk to our Future' where hundreds of our staff, patients, their carers, families and supporters joined us for a symbolic walk from our East Melbourne site to our new home - to the often heroic efforts of our staff, volunteers, suppliers and health sector peers to ensure the smooth and safe relocation of our patients, staff and centre.
The generosity of our corporate, government and philanthropic supporters has also been exceptional.
In this truly historic year for Peter Mac, we extend our sincere and heartfelt thanks to all.