Providing specialist in-home cancer care for patients
You may need the Peter Mac @ Home service for a short time after surgery or you may need ongoing care after chemotherapy or radiation therapy. A nurse from our service will visit you at home (or school/workplace) to provide this care. The [email protected] service is free of charge and includes dressing and wound care supplies. Our [email protected] cancer nurses are available 365 days a year, including public holidays.
[email protected] offers a range of services including:
- Nursing assessment and care, related to your cancer treatment
- Acute wound management
- Central line management- looking after ports/PICCs, Hickmans, etc
- Radiation therapy reaction skin care
- Drain tube management
- Some forms of chemotherapy and other intravenous (into the vein) infusions
- Vacuum-assisted wound management (VAC Therapy)
- Care after surgery
- Our nurses can are on hand to answer your questions about treatment and side effects
- We work with your Peter Mac treating team and keep them up-to-date with your situation
Watch the video on patients experience and what to expect:
If you would like to access the Peter Mac @ Home service, your specialist, nurse coordinator or member of your treating team can organise a referral.
If you meet the criteria for our service, we will book your visits and a Peter Mac @ Home nurse will:
- Call you on the morning of a planned visit to let you know the approximate time of arrival. Please call us on (03) 8559 6800 if you have not received this call by 11am. You may be seen by a nurse who is on a later shift, if this is the case you will not receive a call until 2pm.
- Talk to you about changes to your visit schedule.
- Give you a Peter Mac @ Home folder containing information you need.
Patient Rights and Responsibilities
As our patient you have the right to:
- Be treated with dignity and respect.
- Receive professional and confidential care that respects your culture, beliefs and needs.
- Refuse treatment and/or withdraw from services provided by Peter Mac @ Home at any time.
- Involve an advocate of your choice (someone to support and/or speak for you) during your care.
- To ensure your needs are met, we ask that you provide up-to-date information and honest feedback to your visiting nurse.
- We ask patients and carers to provide a safe environment for our nurses to provide care such as no smoking during a visit, appropriate location for the visit and free of clutter.
Important [email protected] information you should know
There may be a time when a visiting Peter Mac @ Home nurse finds you are too unwell to stay at home and that you need immediate medical attention, eg: fever, chills, bleeding or if you feel generally unwell.
This often requires an ambulance that will be called at your expense (please ensure you have ambulance cover).
Important [email protected] service information
Peter Mac @ Home nurses provide visits anytime between 8am to 8pm, 365 days a year.
You can contact Peter Mac @ Home:
- 7 days a week
- 8:00am to 5:00pm
- (03) 8559 5028
You can discuss any care concerns or provide feedback to your visiting [email protected] nurse.
You can also direct any concerns to:
- Peter Mac @ Home Manager on (03) 8559 6800
- Peter Mac Consumer Liaison on (03) 8559 7517
In the event of an emergency, please dial 000 for an ambulance or go to your nearest hospital emergency department.