Gynae-oncology is a specialised cancer field focusing on cancers of the female sex (genitals) and reproductive system (where and how babies are made).
Gynae cancers can happen in any area of the female sex or reproductive body parts.
Major parts of the female sex and reproductive system include:
- Uterus (womb where a baby grows)
- Fallopian tubes
- Skin folds (lips) around the vagina.
Focusing on you
Putting you at the centre of everything we do, we focus on understanding your individual condition. To do this, your Peter Mac doctor will find out where your cancer is, where it started (what type of cell) and if it is growing or not.
Enhancing your care
At Peter Mac, we provide the most up-to-date diagnostics (tests) and treatment for gynae cancers.
Our gynae cancer specialists will come together and work with you to assess your condition and plan and deliver the most effective treatment.
Your care plan will be custom-made to treat your specific cancer and the needs most important to you.
LIVING WITH CANCER
We know how hard cancer and treatment can be. Your lifestyle and that of your loved one's will be disrupted and changed. During this time, it is common to struggle with ongoing concerns about cancer and therapy. There are many expert groups available to support you through this time, including:
- Ovarian Cancer Australia
- Breacan - Supporting women with gynaecological and breast cancer
- The Royal Women's Hospital
- Continence Foundation Australia
- Cancer Council Australia
- Cancer Council Victoria
At Peter Mac, we focus on all aspects of your health and wellbeing. Our gynae-oncology experts will help support and guide you to the best information and managed care.
Our specialist nurses can refer you to our:
PATIENT AND CARER RESOURCES
For more information about gynaecological cancers, their treatment and support for patients and families, download copies of the following resources:
- Understanding Cancer of the Uterus: A guide for people with cancer, their families and friends
- Cervical Cancer: A guide for women with cancer, their families and friends
- Understanding Ovarian Cancer: A guide for people with cancer, their families and friends
- Gynaecological Cancer and exercise
- Intimacy and sexuality for women with gynaecological cancer - starting a conversation
Your needs come first, so we offer expert care across a number of different Gynae-oncology diseases including: