At Peter Mac, we care about what you think and what you have to tell us
We welcome feedback from patients, carers and families. Feedback about your care, treatment or our service may be in the form of a:
Telling us about your experience, helps us better understand our service from a patient’s point of view. This allows us to think about and improve our service.
Your rights and responsibilities
Peter Mac’s Patient Charter describes the rights and responsibilities of patients when coming to Peter Mac. To achieve the best possible health outcomes, we believe in a genuine partnership. It allows patients, families, carers, consumers and healthcare providers to work together and share an understanding that helps build and achieve high quality health and safety outcomes.
For further information regarding the Patient Charter, call Peter Mac’s Consumer Engagement Manager on 03 8559 7518.
Feedback is a valuable source of information at Peter Mac. All patients, family and friends have the right to complain or question any part of their healthcare.
If you are worried about any part of your care, please tell a staff member straight away. Our staff will work with you to resolve your concerns straight away. If your concerns continue or you feel they have not been resolved, you can contact our Consumer Liaison.
All our patients have access to the Consumer Liaison. The Consumer Liaison will listen to what you have to say and discuss any concerns you may have.
Your discussion with our Consumer Liaison will be fed back to the areas concerned, as this enables us to improve our service. However if you don’t wish your details to be shared your feedback can remain anonymous through out this process.
The Consumer Liaison will look into your concerns and assist in resolving them. You will receive a response about the outcomes of the investigation.
To contact the Consumer Liaison:
- use the feedback form at the bottom of this page to submit your feedback
- call 03 8559 7517 to speak to the Consumer Liaison or leave a message and we will get back to you
- email to: [email protected]
- post your feedback to: Consumer Liaison, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, 305 Grattan Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
If we have tried to resolve your concerns but you are still unhappy with the result, you may seek help from the Health Complaints Commissioner.
The Health Complaints Commissioner is an independent and impartial (meaning fair and without bias) government authority. This office helps protect your right of access to your health information. You can contact the Health Complaints Commissioner on 1300 582 113.
If you send provide feedback or complain by by phone, email or written letter, our Consumer Liaison will respond to you within 2 business days.
To help us provide the best service to you, please be ready to share the following information:
- the nature of your concern or complaint
- your medical record number (if known)
- the name(s) of the person(s) involved
- the department in which the problem occurred
- the date on which the problem occurred
- any ideas about how you would like us to help.
A Consumer Liaison will investigate your concerns. This may include:
- asking your permission to start the investigation if someone else is calling on your behalf
- talking with you and/or your family so that we understand your concerns
- contacting and talking with the person(s) named in your concerns
- reviewing all appropriate documents, including your medical record, if necessary
- working with you to resolve the problem.
We will make every effort to resolve your concerns within 30 working days, but that may not always be possible.
A letter will be sent to you with the result, as well as the following information:
- details of your concern
- steps taken to resolve your complaint
- results of the investigation.
Community advisory commITTEE
Peter Mac’s Community Advisory Committee is a subcommittee of the Board of Directors, providing direction and advice on behalf of the community, consumers and carers.
To contact the Community Advisory Committee about the service and care you have received at Peter Mac or to make a suggestion for improvement or change, email [email protected].