|The Radiation Therapy Services (RTS) department at Peter Mac offers a world class radiation therapy service for all Victorians diagnosed with cancer and a range of other diseases. With services located in East Melbourne, Box Hill, Moorabbin, Bendigo and now Sunshine, Peter Mac offers the largest and most up to date range of services. Using the latest equipment at all sites, highly specialised and individually tailored radiation treatment services are available to all patients. |
|The Radiation Therapy Services department >>|
|Our commitment to excellence >>|
|Our investment in the latest equipment >>|
|Our committment to providing the latest services >>|
|Our high standard of patient care >>|
|The Radiation Therapy Services department|
|Working in direct partnership with the Division of Radiation Oncology, Radiation Therapy Services is committed to the highest standards in treatment planning and delivery, patient care and staff development to ensure we remain at the forefront of all technological developments. Our patients and their families can be assured they are receiving the best and latest standard in care.|
|Our commitment to excellence |
|Our high standard of technical excellence and implementation of state of the art treatments reflects:|
- The commitment of all of our staff to constantly learn new skills and drive to do the best possible for each and every patient.
- The use of evidenced based information to ensure technology is implemented safely to improve outcomes.
- Staff collaboration across many disciplines to ensure each and every treatment is of the highest standard and coordinated with other treatments to minimise inconvenience and disruption.
|Our investment in the latest equipment|
|Our investment in the latest radiation therapy and associated equipment enables state of the art treatments at all Peter Mac sites including: |
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) providing the ability to deliver curative radiation with greater precision and less side effects.
- Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) to improve the efficiency and accuracy of treatment, enabling highly specialised targeting of the cancer immediately before each radiation treatment.
- Personalised and comprehensive modern 3-Dimensional planning with a dedicated multi-slice CT scanner.
- Identification and management of the movement of cancers with breathing through the use of 4-Dimensional CT scanning.
- A new generation radiotherapy simulator equipped with 3 dimensional cone beam CT.
- Access to highly specialised imaging using MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) and PET CT (Positron Emission Tomography Scanning) to ensure our planning incorporates the highest level of information.
|Our commitment to providing the latest services|
|Our investment in highly specialised services available at the East Melbourne site where technical and supportive services concentrated are available to patients from all our sites and includes: |
- Stereotactic radiotherapy and stereotactic radio-surgery
- Total body radiotherapy
- Total body skin radiotherapy
- High dose rate brachytherapy for Gynaecological, Prostate and Gastro-Intestinal cancers
- Low dose rate permanent radioactive seed implant brachytherapy for Prostate cancer
- State-wide paediatric and young adults service for children and teenagers requiring radiation therapy.
|Our high standard of patient care |
|Our commitment to maintaining a high standard of patient care can be seen in:|
- The expertise of our radiation oncologists all of whom work in speciality units and have a excellent understanding of cancer and all treatment options.
- Dedicated and highly skilled radiation therapists who plan and deliver radiation treatments.
- Highly trained medical physicists.
- Caring and experienced oncology nursing staff.
- On site availability of allied health services, including social work, occupational therapy and dietician services.
- Prompt access to outpatient consultations and radiotherapy treatment.
- Our culture of research, education and evidence-based best practice.